I have been wanting to a post on preparing/organizing your guest bedroom and bathroom for quite awhile now. I thought, now would be the perfect time due to the holiday season approaching very quickly!
Since being married for almost 2 and a half years, I have gotten our guest room ready and waiting for overnight guests! It is also the room where I have my elliptical and where I store my garden potatoes and squash!! Cozy, I know! And even better, I store sweatshirts, boxes, blankets, and a guitar in the spare room closet! Ideally, I’d like to have a space that IS cozy and welcoming for guests that can meet their needs while they are staying at my home.
These are some things I have been wanting to do in my guest bedroom!
- Closet Cleanout. Clean out the closet! Leave lots of room for guest’s items that need to be hung, along with extra hangers, and a laundry basket incase they want to do some laundry during their stay.
- Decor Ideas. Think about the decor. The ideal guest room is cozy and comfortable. I try to have no personal pictures in the guest room. I like plain, colorful, warm prints of canvas or cute decorations to add color and texture. Adding candles is always a great idea! Having a few lighthearted books for guests to read is another great idea! In case they can’t sleep or need some reading materials to relax from a long traveling day, light reading or books are great ideas! I like books on fashion, farming, nature, travel, or interior design!
- Storage. Do think about where guests can properly put away their belongings if needed. Have a dresser or a couple of night stands where they can comfortably store away pants, sweaters, scarves, jewelry, and shoes, if needed.
- Think Simple and Sophisicated. My guest room is painted a beige, off-white neutral color. The bed has a white, ruffled comforter, cream sheets, and comfy, vintage throw pillows. I have a large teal, cream, and brown multi-colored canvas print from Hobby Lobby hanging over the bed. Make things simple for guests, but fun and pretty. Make sure they have plenty of light. Place a lamp or some form of good lighting by the bed, on the night stand.
- Cool or Warm. Some things to also add in your guest room are a fan and extra blankets! A fan incase they are warm and it doubles as a light noise machine. Your guests are in a new bedroom in a different home, they might need a little noise to get sleep! I know, I need noise to sleep when I am in a “strange” place! Blankets in case they are cold to cover up with! I already have a soft blanket in my bedding, but have a few extras in the closet or dresser for guests to use.
- Wash Up! Remember to wash the sheets before AND after you have guests, including the extra blankets! I like to wash them before just so everything smells pretty and clean or incase it has been awhile since I had guests over!
Now for the guest bathroom…
- Towels. Always have fresh towels out in plain view. I keep a few of my extra towels in a vintage, metal wire basket by the tub. That way, they are accessable for guests! I keep the hand towels and washcloths in a over-the-toilet cabinet.
- Toiletries. ALWAYS keep some simple toiletries on hand for guests’ needs. Things like mini shampoo, body wash, conditioner, tooth paste, an extra tooth brush, face wash, lotion, emery board, chapstick, nail clipper, and of course, toilet paper.
- Organize. Remember to organize and re-organize where things go and are to go in the guest bathroom! I know for us, Taylor uses our guest bathroom to shower in when he comes in late from working. I have to remember to take his shampoo and body wash out, as well as keep it cleaned up! Have designated spot for guests to hang towels and washcloths after they are done. I have a towel rack behind the door.
Hopefully, these tips help for getting your guest rooms ready for the holidays!